For some, the holidays bring to mind the smell of freshly baked cookies; for others, the scent of just cut pine branches. For us, there is something profoundly sentimental about the flavor of peppermint that seems woven into the fabric of the holiday season.
Outside of nostalgia, mint offers a variety of health benefits. In herbal traditions, the invigorating scent of peppermint is revered for its energizing effect. Recent studies even suggest that mint may have a positive effect on our brain’s ability to retain memories—perfect for remembering time spent with loved ones over the holidays.
Mint also functions as a digestive aid, making it a helpful compliment to this time of indulgence. Eating fresh peppermint or enjoying a mint infusion after a heavy meal can ease heaviness and stomach aches.
That's why we are sharing the recipe for one of our favorite seasonal mainstays with you: the Mindful Mint Matcha Latte.
Recipe: Mindful Mint Matcha Latte
Makes one serving
For the matcha:
- 1.5 tsp Ceremonial Hikari Matcha
- 2 oz 180°F water
For the peppermint milk mixture:
- 8 oz plant milk of choice
- 15 drops peppermint extract
- 5 drops skullcap extract (optional)
- 0.25 tsp coconut manna
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- Combine plant milk, peppermint extract, skullcap extract, coconut manna, and maple syrup in a saucepan. Warm over medium heat while whisking constantly.
- Whisk the Ceremonial Hikari Matcha with 2 oz of water heated to 180°F in a shallow bowl until a dense froth forms.
- Pour peppermint milk mixture into a mug and top with matcha.
We recommend using our Ceremonial Hikari Matcha to make the Mindful Mint Matcha Latte at home. It’s the matcha our cafés use for all lattes and creative drinks. We love Hikari for this recipe because its delicate but robust flavor profile pairs perfectly with the intensity of peppermint. For an enhanced mood-boosting effect, you can also add skullcap extract.
Stop by one of our NYC cafés for a Mindful Mint Matcha Latte and many other winter treats. Find your closest location.