In spring, our matcha farmers in Shizuoka, Japan are busy harvesting the most tender, first flush tencha leaves for our range of Single Origin Ceremonial Matcha. Inspired by botanicals of the spring harvest, our culinary team crafted the Goma Garden Matcha Latte. Goma translates to “sesame” in Japanese, and in this recipe floral matcha meets enveloping rose and satisfying, nutty sesame.
Matcha, Rose, and Tahini: A Perfect Flavor Triangle
The Matchaful culinary team has long valued using florals in creative matcha lattes and functional food items for both their flavor and health benefits. In particular, Chefs Joanas and Haley enjoy working with rose for its powerful beautifying effect on skin—a perfect complement to antioxidant-rich matcha with its cell protecting properties. Rose’s strong anti-inflammatory properties can help soothe irritation and treat both internal and external ailments.
To enhance the beautifying qualities of matcha and rose while adding a savory flavor dimension, we selected tahini, a paste made from copper and zinc-rich sesame that helps the body produce collagen and lowers inflammation. Our tahini of choice is made by Lisa, Rachel, and Monica, the female founders of Seed + Mill.
We hope you enjoy this Matchaful at Home recipe. Let us know what you think! We’d love to see your results. Share your matcha creations on social with the tag #matchafulathome
Recipe: Goma Garden Matcha Latte
Makes one serving
For the matcha
- 1.5 tsp Super Ceremonial Kiwami Matcha
- 2 oz hot water (180°F)
For the tahini rose milk
- 5 oz plant milk of choice
- 2 oz white tahini
- 0.5 tsp rose water
- 0.5 tsp vanilla extract
- 0.5 tsp sea buckthorn powder
- 1 tbsp maple syrup (optional)
- Combine plant milk, white tahini, rose water, vanilla extract, sea buckthorn powder, and maple syrup in a small saucepan. Warm over medium heat, whisking constantly.
- Whisk the Super Ceremonial Kiwami Matcha with 2 oz of water heated to 180°F in a shallow bowl until dense froth forms.
- Pour tahini rose milk into a mug and top with matcha.
We recommend using our Super Ceremonial Kiwami Matcha for this drink because its flavor profile balances the nutty and fragrant drink beautifully. For an extra immune boost, we suggest adding sea buckthorn powder or extract.